In honor of Ron Popeil’s birthday today we wanted to share one of his original Showtime Rotisserie recipes. Ron Popeil has always been a fantastic chef, as well as an inventor and innovator! In honor of his 82nd birthday, we are going to make these Pollo Asado Chicken Quesadillas tonight!
Here’s to you Ron, Happy Birthday!
This recipe was modified from Ron Popeil’s Rotisserie & BBQ Recipe Collection; pick up one of his original cookbooks up at Amazon.com: LINK
Shop Ronco Rotisseries: Ronco.com
POLLO ASADO CHICKEN
- 3/4-cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chili, minced
- 1/2-teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
Combine the apple juice, lime juice, garlic, chili, paprika, oregano and pepper in a flat dish. Pat dry the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. Pound the chicken breasts lightly between two sheets of plastic wrap with a flat mallet until they are 1/2-inch thick. Add the chicken to the marinade. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 4 hours. Rotate the chicken in the Flat Standard Basket for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
ROASTED SPICY CHICKEN QUESADILLAS
- 1/2 recipe Polio Asado (Above)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 8 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup grated medium sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Prepare chicken as directed above and cool slightly. Cut chicken into small shreds or cubes. Brush one side of each tortilla with oil. Lay 4 of the tortillas, oil side down, on a baking sheet. Divide chicken evenly over the tortillas. Top with chopped onion, bell pepper, cheeses and cilantro. Next, lay the remaining 4 tortillas, oil side up, on top. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake the quesadillas until crispy and browned about 12 to 15 minutes. Cut each into six wedges and serve hot or warm.